Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Quilt WIP's

Yesterday's post was all about my knitting WIP's. Today's is all about the quilt WIP's. I don't quilt as much as I used to but I have a lot of quilty projects this year for Christmas. 

My first WIP is for us to keep. During last year's after Christmas sales I picked up some buttons that looked like carrots and black buttons planning to make a snowman quilt. Of course I waited until this December to start it. Since the quilt isn't really Christmasy, I'll be able to keep it up for January and February. Above is the quilt top. Each block is 6 inches finished. I made the white centers different sizes based on the variety of carrot buttons.

I'm quilting all the white with mini snowballs. And it's taking forever. 

Have 5 of 20 blocks done. 

I laid the buttons on top of the quilted blocks. Looks okay but still needs something.

Better. I'll have to buy more little buttons to give the big blocks smiles. I don't know yet about the little blocks. That's a lot of buttons. It would be nice to have the quilting done before going out of town for the holidays. I could bring it with me and put on buttons while hanging out with family but I don't think that's going to happen.

I finished the third quilt top for my mom on Sunday. You can see the first quilt here. And the second quilt here. I admit I didn't really like this fabric when my mom picked it out but I like it now. I fussy cut 30, 9.5" squares for the middles. The red and green stripes are 2.5" wide, giving me 13.5" blocks. And very little fabric left over.

Made for a double/full bed but not meant to be tucked in. Just an extra blanket. This quilt is for a guest bed at my parents house. I pieced the back and batting yesterday. Just need to baste and I can start quilting. Although I'm not sure how I want to quilt it or what colour thread. Any ideas?

Here it is lying on our double bed. Just goes over the sides. Hope you like it mom.

And I have a finish to share, too. I started this quilt 4 years ago. It's so nice to have it finished. Fabric is Kate Spain's Terrain - which I still love. 

On our bed. Goes over each side and has enough length to be tucked it.

I did free-motion stippling over the whole thing. 

The back. When I made the quilt top in 2011, it was suppose to be for us to keep. Then I thought of giving it to a niece earlier this year before I settled on giving it to my SIL, Michelle, for Christmas. She gifted my two older kids with quilts last year and I think she deserves it. I admit I was in a hurry quilting this and thought I had done an okay job in basting and holding the quilt taunt while quilting until I looked at the back when it was done.

And saw this.

And this.

And this. I was disappointed and sad. I don't feel like I can give this as a gift anymore. I still love it and might keep it. Or I'll donate it. Or maybe I will end up giving it as a gift. I'm unsure. I still need to wash it. Maybe that will help the puckers look less obvious?

I do love the bright yellow I used for the binding.

What quilty projects are you trying to finish up for Christmas?
Linking up at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.


9 comments:

  1. LOVE the snowman face quilt. So, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the way you are quilting the snow people - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snowman are really cute. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those snowmen, what a great quilt idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellow fabric from bringing a quilt is a favorite of mine to use. The snowman quilt is pretty adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute snowman quilt. I have to put that on my "must do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Christmas quilt is looking good! Thank you.
    Love the snowmen quilt. I think they're waiting for snow, too.
    What's a few puckers on such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Australian Patchwork & Quilting
    The 20/20 Rule of Quilting
    If your quilt looks good from 20 feet away while you drive by at 20 mile per hour, it's perfect!
    Don't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt with buttons that form snowman faces is awesome! I think that it is really wonderful idea! In my opinion it would also be great if you added some snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...