Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What I Read in November

November was light on novels, and heavy with graphic novels at the end. I didn't want to read too much fiction since I was also working on NaNoWriMo...
... which I won by writing 50,000 words last month. I ended up with over 53,000 words before I had to stop. I killed off a character and now I'm not sure how to end it. Still thinking about it so I'll get back to it eventually, but probably not until next year. Here's what I read in November.

The Gap of Time by Jeanette Winterson
If you've read some of my past reading round-ups, you might have noticed I'm a big Jeanette Winterson fan. I first read 2 of her books for a 1st year University class and have loved her ever since. I own or have read almost all of her books. I think there's only about 4 or 5 I haven't read yet and I can't think of one that I haven't enjoyed. "The Gap of Time" is part of a series of novels by different authors, each retelling a Shakespeare play. Jeanette redid "Winter's Tale" and even though I've read the play before, the novel made me want to reread it. If you haven't read or seen the play, or it's been awhile since you had to read it for a university class (cough, cough) there is a quick summary of what happens in it.
I really enjoyed the book and highly recommend it. The characters are great. Jeanette did a wonderful job retelling the play but making it unique and sound like her. There's nothing I can really think of that people might find offensive, although I think there was some swearing, if that bothers you. You can read more about the novel here, which has a link about the Shakepeare series. And yeah, Atwood's doing one next year - The Tempest - which should be awesome.

Infinite in Between by Carolyn Mackler
I know why I read this. I wanted to read something that wouldn't influence my NaNoWriMo novel. This was definitely it. A young adult/ teen novel about several kids put together during Grade 9 orientation and how their lives change as they go through high school and meet back up at graduation. I'm not a young adult fan and this book didn't help. Is this really what teens want to read? Young adult has become such a big market (it seems that it is all literary agents are interested in seeing) but I don't understand it. If you like young adult novels, you'll probably enjoy this one. It deals with almost every teen issue - friendships (beginning and ending), sexuality/ homosexuality, dealing with parents, death of a loved one, school stress. You name it, it probably has it. Other than "Only Ever Yours", which I loved and still think about, I can't think of another young adult novel worth the genre hype. Know of some? Leave a comment below.

I'm still reading my way through the "Fables" graphic novel series. I'm half way through - 11 of 22 read - and have had to start reading a spin off that rejoins the series soon. I'm still enjoying this series and recommend it. For those who haven't heard of the series before, it's about the characters from fairytales/fables. Some live in our world. Some still live in their homelands. But they are immortal, so they've been around for a long time, although they stay the age they are in their stories. Here's the volumes I read this month. 
Fables: Wolves

Fables: Sons of Empire

Fables: The Good Prince (this one was really good)

Fables: War and Pieces (also very good as the Fables in our world fought the Adversary who had chased them out of their homelands). 

I have to take a Fables break while I read the Jack series. Jack's a bit of a rascal and there's a bit of sexy stuff, if that bothers you. We are letting our 13 year old daughter read it but warn her about it before she reads an issue and talk to her about it after, if she wants. It's an enjoyable series but I think I like the original Fables series better. My husband, who has read all the graphic novel before, says I need to read Jack as it's important to the Fables series.

Jack of Fables: The (Nearly) Great Escape

Jack of Fables: Jack of Hearts

So what have you been reading? Share in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...