Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Books I read in July

So Reading/ Writing Wednesday will be going through some changes. The last Wednesday of every month I'll review what I read that month, while the first Wednesday of every month will highlight some of what I hope to read or my latest borrowings from the library. Here is July's round-up.

"The Amazing Thing About the Way It Goes" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.
I actually finished this at the very end of June but never got around to blogging about it. I have read all her other books which were mainly about knitting while this one deals with the rest of her life. Knitting of course makes an appearance but it really deals with other events in her life. It was an enjoyable read but I admit to liking her other books better. This was still good and I'd recommend it but if you're a knitter, I'd recommend her other books first. There were a couple essays that were amazing - I think the last one in particular was really well written.

"The Creative Compass" by Dan Millman and Sierra Prasada.
A book about writing. It was alright but reminded me that I should really stop reading books about how to write and just write. It was interesting in that it was written by a father and daughter and had some good advice. They really, really like putting in quotes for inspiration.

"The Stone Gods" by Jeanette Winterson.
I love Jeanette. I love everything I have read of her work. This book is no exception. However, this book isn't for everyone. It is Science Fiction, which usually I don't enjoy but I loved this book. I don't want to give away too much... basically it wrestles with the idea of what if humans keep getting a redo. A chance to start over but we always end up doing the exact same thing - destroying our planet. 
When I tell my husband about a good book I'm reading he always asks how many robots are in it. It was nice to tell him there are actual robots in this novel. It made him look up from his computer. However the main robot in this book is female and has sex with both men and a woman, so if that kind of thing might offend you, feel free to skip this book. But the robot sex with humans is such a minor, minor part of the book, it's the humans and what they do that matters.

"We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler.
I finished reading this novel Monday evening. I think my mom would really like this book. It's another book that I don't want to say too much about. The book unravels into a wonderful tale and I really didn't know how it was going to end. I highly recommend it.
This book was nominated for the Man Booker Prize which is how I discovered it. The local library tweeted a list of all the nominees they had available at the library. I ended up requesting all them. This is the first one that I read. I have one more here and am waiting on the others. I also requested the book that won last year. To see this year's list go here. They all look so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...