Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Mother-Daughter Book Club

With the kids home and husband out of town last week, I didn't get much done. One thing that did happen though, was our first mother-daughter book club. My daughter, Calliope, was looking for something to read and we were looking on the library website for ideas when "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret" came up. I knew it was a classic but I had never read it and neither had she. We decided that we'd both read it and then talk about it. 

Our book club meeting. 2 teas and the book. 

A very short read (took us each a day to read it). We both enjoyed it. I wasn't sure what to expect as our family is of "no religion" but we were both pleased with how religion was dealt with in the book. Calliope said Margaret's conversations with God were kind of like diary entries. She thought some of the things the girls did were a little silly and couldn't believe girls would do that. All I could think of was all the silly things my friends and I did when we were young. I guess my daughter is more mature than I was :) I was happy when Calliope said, her and her friends don't talk about other girls the way Margaret and her friends do.  I asked her if it she wanted to do what Margaret did and go to different churches to see what they were like and she said no. Overall, we both recommend the book and think it was a great first selection for our book club. I wish I had read it when I was her age (she turns 13 in less than 2 months) and glad that we got to read it together. We plan on reading more books together and hope at our next meeting, her brothers will leave us alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...