Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Why I Quilt - Part 3

This is the 3rd part in the Why I Quilt series. Part 1 can be found here. Part 2 can be found here

This is the quilt that started it all. Some of my earliest memories are of waking up in the morning, crawling into my parents bed and under this quilt. I love it. There really are no words that describe how I feel about this quilt. It is a special part of my childhood and there is a feeling of comfort when I look at it. Even when I look at pictures of it on my computer screen.

My Great-Grandma Bacher, who made the quilt from last week (seen here), made this one as well. Some  fabrics are in both quilts. She made this to celebrate Canada's Centennial in 1967.



The wonderful fabric on the back. 


Hand quilted.

When I first started quilting, a bow-tie quilt was on my"Must make" list, just like this one. 8 years later, I still haven't. I think I finally have enough scraps to make one. From what I remember, a lot of these fabrics were leftover from clothes she had made. I feel so lucky to have her quilts to look at and be inspired by.



2 comments:

  1. What a treasure you have... both the quilt and the memories! I'm sure your great-grandmother would be very pleased that she inspired you to start quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt too. It makes a bed look really happy and inviting:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...