Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

2 more quilts done!


When the garbage pail beside your sewing machine is this overflowing, it must mean you finished something, right?

Right! I finished my daughter's hummingbird quilt the other night. It's bigger than I thought it was going to be. I really like working with no batting but just the polyester fleece as the backing. Much easier to move under the needle.

My favourite flower. I tried to use contrasting threads to outline and add detail to the petals.  There is an orange spiral in the middle but it's hard to see.

Detail of the big purple flower.

I decided not to quilt the hummingbird. I used transparent thread to do a zig zag stitch all around the hummingbird to secure it. You can also see the loopy quilting on the background. Again with the transparent thread. I only quilted where it was polka dotted, leaving the "borders" of the fabric free of quilting and easy to cuddle up with.

The back. I think the back looks awesome. This has been on my daughter's bed the past 2 nights. She loves it.

After I finished the hummingbird quilt Wednesday night, I thought I would get started on the above Frida quilt. I had only planned on picking the thread I wanted to use and stitching around the brown columns. An hour and a half later I was sitting in my rocking chair, attaching the hanging sleeve to the finished quilt.

This has been waiting a year to be quilted. Pinned together, just waiting. Glad to have it done and I love the red binding. Frida Kahlo is one of my favourite artists, definitely my favourite female artist. I had made this to put up in our house (since my favourite Frida paintings aren't really kid appropriate), but now I'm thinking of putting this in the etsy store. I love it but am willing to see it go. If you haven't looked at her work or read a biography of her, you really should. She was an amazing woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...