Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Last finishes of 2011

I finished this in early December but couldn't share it here as it was a gift. I made this log cabin quilt for my mom. It's about 56 inches square - perfect for her to cuddle under and nap on the couch. I had already made her 2 slipcovers for her living room pillows which I blogged about here.

I free-motioned with blue thread in the blue and with black in the black. I used red and quilted a heart in each red square. I tried to get a picture of a heart but it was impossible, you'll just have to take my word for it.

For the back I used some stamp themed fabrics that I have saving for years to use with a quilt for my mom. I always thought they would be on the front but together they make a very nice back. My mother collects stamps. Then she sends them to me and I take the paper off the back and put them in her stamp collection. 

An outside shot. The blue is a lot brighter than it is appearing in any of these photos. My mom helped pick the blue. She bought new curtains and wanted pillows to match. I decided she needed a new quilt too. 

This is about as good as I could get for the true value of the blue. It's a lovely quilt and if it hadn't been for my mom I might have kept it. I am planning on doing a log cabin for myself this year or next - already have the fabrics picked.

I finished this baby quilt on December 30th. I free-motioned and bound it and then washed it the next day. 

I wanted this finished earlier in December but I couldn't decide how I wanted to quilt it. I love the circles in the blue. 

I used brown for the binding.

The dad of the baby studies plants. I had been saving this remnant for awhile and decided it was a perfect back for this quilt. I added a strip of green to the one side.

And this should have been a 2011 finish. This is my brother's Christmas present. I am aiming to get it done and mailed with his daughter's birthday present by the end of this week. I forced myself to only work on this yesterday and I knit about 10 inches. I started the shaping for the armholes and the neck. Not too much left to do - just need to keep forcing myself to finish it. Then I can cast on something else - like a birthday present for my sister or a pair of socks for me. Or I'll just cast on both.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, I love that bold, turquoise log cabin quilt. It's very striking!! You had some lovely finishes for the end of the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
    Yours, Ulla

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...