Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

What I Read in October

Last month I enjoyed everything I read. Lots of graphic novels as I am making my way through the Fables series. Here's what I read.

I was very excited to pick this book up from the library. I loved the first 3/4's of the novel but I'm not sure about the last 1/4. I can't explain why it bothers me. The ending is so... happy? hopeful? I guess I wanted more punishment or different punishment for the bad guys. If you like Atwood, you have to read it. I stayed away from reviews and interviews until after I read it which was good but would have given me a heads up on the ending. Atwood is a great writer and I'd read anything she wrote but I don't think this book would go on my top ten of her books. Maybe I need to reread it? Would still recommend it, as it is Margaret Atwood, and she's the best.

Other bloggers had discussed this book enough that I decided to read it. I really enjoy the idea of essentialism - cutting things out that aren't important, setting priorities and questioning what is important right now. I think I've been moving towards essentialism for a few years but didn't realize it. The mindset definitely helps purge stuff, especially kid toys. I'm working on a post about how essentialism will affect Christmas this year but I'm not sure if I'll share it here or not. Every year I try to buy less, especially for my own kids, but then I have that guilty mom feeling take over and feel like I have to get them more and spend too much on stuff they don't really want or need. I highly recommend this book. It might even be a book I'll eventually buy so I can reread it every year or so to help me refocus on what is really essential.

Below are all the Fables I read last month. 
Fables: Storybook Love

Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers

Fables: The Mean Seasons

Fables: Homelands

Fables: Arabian Nights (and Days)

I'm still really enjoying this series. A nice break when I want to read something but don't want to commit to a novel. My brain really needed to process Atwood's novel for a couple weeks so the graphic novels were good to read until I was ready to start reading another novel (I'm almost done Jeanette Winterson's latest one - loving it!). There are 22 volumes plus spin-offs of Fables. I like that I know this isn't a long term commitment. If you've wanted to give graphic novels a try or were looking for one that wasn't full of superheroes, you might enjoy it. It's fun to see characters from fairy tales interacting. Think I should start watching the "Once Upon a Time" tv show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...