Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Don't ask...

... because I'm not sure what I'm doing. I took a rectangle of fabric and doodled all over it. Now I'm embroidering the doodles. Not sure why or what I'm going to do with it. I don't even think I'm doing the stitches right.

It all started on Sunday with these 3. I drew these last summer and finally embroidered them. Not sure what I am going to do with these either. They're just fun to do. (the pen I used will disappear once I iron them).

Fat quarters I won for completing my Fat Quarter Stars quilt top. Thanks Konda for hosting such a great QAL.

Finished the sleeves of my dad's cardigan and got them joined to the body. Now I need to do the shoulder and neck decreases. There are almost 370 stitches on the needles so that's as stretched out as I can get it right now.

It's been an introspective week here. Last Monday, a 22 year old undergraduate student had a stroke while swimming. She worked in the same lab as my husband, different supervisor. I met her once. At first she was awake, smiling and laughing, even though she was paralyzed on one side of her body. Then her brain began to swell and although she had surgery to relieve the pressure she passed away. This Monday her organs were donated. I've been reading online and in the newspaper about what an amazing person she was - she went on service missions during her breaks, was going to join the peace corps after she graduated and volunteered with the fire department. She was a very giving person. Even in death her organs are giving others life and hope. 
 The university community here is small and it seems everyone has been touched by her passing. One lesson I hope we all learn from Karen's life is to Give. Whether it is your time, money or a quilt, we all have the ability to help others and there are so many who need it. Last week my husband donated blood and both of us are organ donors. Please give blood if you can and be an organ donor, and let your family know that you are.

Want to help? Part of Friday Night Sew-In this month is to make pillow cases for children battling cancer. I think we can all spare our time and fabric to bring a smile to a young face. Visit Heidi's blog for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...