Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

A Couple Finishes and a Little Book Review

Finished the Waving Lace Socks this weekend. These are a gift and I can't wait for them to get to their destination. This pattern was easier than it looks. Very easy to memorize I was able to get these done a lot quicker than I thought I would be able to.

I love the pattern going down the leg.

And continuing onto the foot. They look great in orange, too.

Friday I went through books, my ravelry queue and copied patterns and wrote down all the things I wanted to make for our little guy before he arrives. Most of the list was cardigans and sweaters he would wear this winter but I probably won't have time to knit after he arrives. There were 34 items on the list. I went back through it and eliminated some, and pushed back some that had multiple sizes and kept on ones I loved or only came in newborn-6 months size. It brought the list down to 29. Next up is going through and putting them in priority - is there any patterns I'd regret not making? The hat above was on the list and I was able to make it in one evening. Can you see the little flames? The pattern called for black instead of red, but I didn't have any and hoped this would do. The orange is leftover from the socks I finished.

It's definitely a newborn hat, as you can see it is a little tight on my baby hat model. I am putting it through the washer and dryer and hoping that helps a bit. I guess I need to work on my colourwork tension. I think I might make a bigger version this winter for both the little guy and his big brother.  

Finished this book Saturday evening. "The Fates Will Find Their Way" by Hannah Pittard. It was on the new book shelf at the library when I went last week and it tempted me. When I was finished it did exactly what I love about a good book - it had me thinking about the characters and what happened long after I read it. Little warning that some of the events are a little graphic, a lot of the book deals with teenagers coming of age so there is a bit of them exploring their sexuality.
One of the things I love is that there was no one main character voice. It was told from the view of a group of teenage boys (speaking as a single voice - does that make sense?) as they grew up and how the disappearance of a girl on Halloween when they were in highschool affected the rest of their lives. Some chapters are just what they imagine happened to her that night, where she might have gone and what her life may have been like. It was definitely a great find on the shelf.

Besides the actual novel, this book drew me in because of it's pages. I hope the picture shows that they aren't cut evenly and there's something about this tactile aspect to the book that I really like. I hate to admit but the feel of a book in my hands increases (or decreases) my enjoyment of it. If I get a hardcover book the first thing I do is take the book jacket off, I hate having to deal with it. My copy of "Fugitive Pieces" by Anne Michaels also has pages like this and might have been the first time I really noticed pages cut like this in a book.  If (or should I saw when?) I publish a book I'll have to remember these pages and try to have them for my novel.

And here is how the book tempted me. They used the words "kaleidoscopically", "disembodied plural voice of the boys"  and "Told in haunting, percussive prose" on the inside book jacket. How could I not read this? I'm just glad the novel lived up to the book jacket's description :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...