Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Frustration

Today has been one frustration after another. Perhaps it's because I'm trying to rush and get a lot done before I head out of town for a few weeks or maybe... it's because I'm filling my time with what I think needs to be done instead of what I want to do. The yarn above was the first major frustration of the day. I don't buy yarn in hanks very often since winding them into balls isn't one of my favourite things to do. The green yarn is from knitpicks and each was over 400 yards. They took about 15 minutes each to wind. The purple yarn is about 220 yards and took almost 2 hours. Not sure if I started with the wrong end or what, but with about 15 yards left it became one tangled mess. But, I got it all untangled, eventually. 

Second major frustration. Yes, that is a quilt on the floor. This quilt had been going so well but adding the side rows is not turning out. I have a date with my seam ripper.

So, after tossing the quilt on the floor in disgust, I did the dishes and some thinking. I began to wonder why I do the projects that I do. It's not always what I want to work on or where I want my etsy shop to go. I'm more,  "when I get ______ done, then I can work on the stuff I really want to do". But the thing is, the list keeps getting longer and I don't spend much time working on the things I want to make.  And maybe because my shop is full of all those "when I" projects and not what I really want to make, the sales are slow. I keep telling myself this fall when both kids are in school all day, I'll be able to make time for myself but I wonder, why do I have to wait? Admittedly I don't have a lot of time this summer to work on my own thing, but I'm going to try and stop with the "when I...then I will...".

I have found myself looking at this a lot the past couple weeks. I made this before I had an etsy shop. I've always loved it and haven't been able to give it away. (sorry for the bad picture, it's tricky to get in the frame so I just left it in). It use to sit on top of the fridge and no one ever saw it. I decided to put it on the mantel in our current home. It reminds me of the joy quilting use to give me. I just hope I can rediscover that joy


2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, Yay for doing what you want ... even if it is just a smidge of satisfaction at a time like enjoying a single chocolate from a box. I can understand your frustration ... I have the urge to throw my sewing machine out the window all the time. No kidding. Happy Summer. I have one more week before my son is home and two before my daughter is done playschool ... it is going to be great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have SO been there. Best medicine for me? Pick the project I WANT to do...and do it. Then when I return to "When I "X", I can "X"" I try to make the thing I HAVE to do a "Finish" of something I already started (and didn't really want to do...LOL). Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and let you know I go through it too. LOL...I know you don't know me...but I follow your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...