Just over 8 years ago, I made a quilt for my best friend and her husband's 10th anniversary. It was before I had a blog or instagram so it never got a proper photo shoot. I recently did some repairs on it and before I returned it, I took some pictures. Well, lots of pictures.
Here it is before I returned it. It's queen size and hard to hold up by myself.
Here are some pictures of what needed repaired. Several fabrics near the top of the quilt had torn.
And the binding at the top was also coming apart. I took all of the binding off and replaced it.
I cut the torn fabrics out.
I measured each space, cut fabric to fit, ironed down 1/4 inch on each side and hand-stitched them in place. I quilted over the new fabrics and put the new binding on.
Another finished pic.
Here are some of the new fabrics along the bottom.
There were still some little rips, from fabrics wearing out and from cat claws. I put a safety pin in each little hole to mark them. Ended up needing 14 circles to cover them. I hand-stitched them in place, too and then free-motioned quilted over them. I tried to keep the new quilting similar to the old quilting.
I tried to get a picture of the quilting but it was kind of tricky. Hopefully you can see 3 lines of quilting. The smaller leaves (the two outside lines) were quilted 8 years ago, the bigger leaves, in the middle, are the new quilting.
Used a bright blue for the binding.
And the back.
There were lots of catches on the back. It made me want to make them a new quilt
Quilting from the back. Old small leaves, new bigger ones.
Close up of one the circles with the quilting going over it.
Spread out on our bed. It's a bit big for our full size bed but fits their queen size much better.
It was hard letting this quilt go again, but they really love it, so I guess I'll let them keep it. Maybe I need to make a batik quilt for us. Especially since my husband really liked this quilt.