Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

Today we share Bowie

In the early 2000's, my husband went through a heavy David Bowie phase and we listened to his music almost exclusively. It was David Bowie's "Kooks" and "Oh You Pretty Thing" that he sang to our infant daughter when he changed her diaper in 2002, 2003, and every time we listen to them now he reminds her. Our family was sad to hear of his passing this morning. Our now 13 year old daughter was in tears before leaving for school. As I listened and watched Bowie videos on Youtube, I remembered that during that time I had written a poem inspired by Bowie lyrics. I thought I would share it here today.

The Space Oddity of an Earthling

I am an ant
on an asteroid
careening
and screaming
through space.
I am so tiny
so miniscule
I am obsolete.
Centuries upon
centuries
and
evolution has only
brought us this far.
I drive
my little red car,
nuclear family
on board.
And I listen
as God
sings to me.

All these pretty things
change.
I am nothing

but stardust.

written December 9th, 2002

(editing note: I added no words to the original poem today, just some punctuation to help with flow/ pauses. I did alter the title which had been "A Space Oddity")

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...